Running two instances of the engine: terrible performance

saindd

I just started two instances of my game, one in the first monitor and another on the second, both running windowed. I did this to test some networking code, but the performance was terrible. Is this normal? I have a pretty powerful machine: i7 3.4ghz, 8GB RAM, GTX 660.

Try it with UE4. Or Unity. Should give some idea.

The engine used to refuse to start a second instance, but that check was removed. I've run a dedicated server and two instances of the game on the same computer before without too much trouble, but the mission was mostly empty except for about 150 AI units.

Lukas is absolutely right - even if you're running a single instance and you focus Notepad (or whatever) T3D will render one frame each 100ms or so (10fps) so that you can actually do what you swapped away from the game to do. I'm sure that was added to help developers while debugging to allow Visual Studio to be more responsive.

I have tried with Unity, since it's what i have here, and it worked well. I tried with open-source engines, like Sauerbraten and Darkplaces, and it also worked OK. I'm on Windows, btw.

But, as you guys said, the problem is only on the unfocused window in T3D.